Friday, January 21, 2011

Don't Waste Your Time Waiting























Got a head-on collision smashin' in my guts, man.

One of my best friends is dying. I first visited his deathbed last night. Light classical music was being pumped into his room as painkilling drugs coursed through his veins. An ex-wife and I agreed that the combination wasn't the least bit appropriate. I returned today with a few albums by the Beatles and Bruce Springsteen, his two favorite artists. Even as the eyes of my son's friend lit up, the man's mother immediately disparaged Bruce. Damn it. I'm counting on you, friends. Please do right by me when the time comes.

I believe in the love that you gave me.

---
Tim Finn's implication that I'm "well-adjusted and loved" in his essay on Ozzy Osbourne came at precisely the right time.

---
I reviewed There Are Rules, the new Get Up Kids album.

---
"I've forgotten more about punk rock than you'll ever know." That's right- I'm the token crusty old guy at Warped Tour every year. Of the bands announced for the 2011 tour, I possess a measure of enthusiasm for the Aggrolites, Foxy Shazam, MC Lars and Grieves with Budo.

---
Don Kirshner introduced me to the Ramones. Kirshner died January 17.

---
Kansas City Click: The Jazz Winterlude festival began Thursday and concludes with a Sunday brunch.

Kid Sister and Hearts of Darkness appear Saturday at the VooDoo.

Sonic Spectrum presents a tribute to David Bowie at the Record Bar on Sunday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I went to Warped Tour with grandkids two years straight. The only thing that stops me now is my knees can't take the standing.
I'll never get getting stuck in a mosh pit with my oldest granddaughter at age 18. Scary at the time, but now a precious memory.
Dear Lord, I hope they let me hear my choice of music when I'm dying.

Happy In Bag said...

I'll mosh with you any day, grandma!