Friday, May 13, 2011

Ultraviolence: Tyler the Creator vs. Atmosphere




















Atmosphere- "Just For Show" video
Tyler the Creator- "Yonkers" video

I intended to dedicate my listening time on Tuesday to Goblin, the new album by Tyler the Creator. Yet I found it difficult to tear myself away from The Family Sign, the latest release from Atmosphere. Filled with pain songs about death and disappointment, The Family Sign hits close to home.

Atmosphere may be old hat, but Slug and Ant enjoyed hot-new-thing status just a decade ago. Slug now raps convincingly about the travails of adulthood. And while he name-checks Gang Starr, songs like "Who I'll Never Be" show that Slug is also down with the classic rock of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The nihilistic Goblin doesn't connect with me in the same way. I find Slug's portrait of a "Bad Bad Daddy" far more distressing than Tyler's Clockwork Orange-style tales of ultraviolence.

Besides, Tyler's attempts to shock listeners don't always work in the land of Tech N9ne. Been there. Done that. Anyone can smash something. Only experience allows the ramifications of anarchy to be wholly understood. Slug and Ant get it. Tyler will learn soon enough.


---
Here's a new track from Miles Bonny's forthcoming album.

---
Kansas City Click: Will Mathews plays guitar Friday at the Blue Room

Friends think I'm kidding when I express enthusiasm for Rockfest. Don't tell anyone, but I'd go to Saturday's festival even if I wasn't being paid to attend.

James Harman, one of the most under-appreciated men in blues, visits BB's Lawnside BBQ on Sunday.

Reptet and Beard Crazy perform at the Record Bar on Monday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Mike Shure said...

Tyler the unoriginal creator is just another ignorant, hateful piece of garbage in the repetitious world of rap. Too bad he didn't actually kill himself, he's too much of a pussy to do so, and free us from more of this crap.