Friday, August 26, 2011

Solid! Solid as a Rock


















I ventured into my basement today with Nick Ashford on my mind. The veteran singer, songwriter and performer died Monday. I seem to recall that I own a small stack of Ashford & Simpson vinyl. I intended to use one or more of the albums in an image for this blog. (I wish I had time to listen to them again.) Then it hit me- my collection was moved by other members of my compound after a recent wet basement incident. I can't locate the A-through-B section of my vinyl. I briefly considered throwing a hissy fit until I remembered that I'm the luckiest guy I know. I saw Steely Dan last night, Lil Wayne on Monday and Marbin on Sunday. I'll be out again every night this weekend. And I'm going to complain that my music collection is unmanageable? No, I'm "Solid". Thanks for indulging me as I work through my issues in public.

---
It's not as if my dark side has permanently evaporated. Kevin Devine's "Ballgame" is one of the best songs about self-loathing I've encountered.

---
The unlikely editorial decisions displayed in the new video for "How To Love" only heighten my man-crush on Weezy.

---
Sanctuary.

---
Kansas City Click: The Midland Theater hosts Return To Forever on Friday.

TV On the Radio perform at Crossroads KC on Saturday.

Marilyn Maye begins a week-long engagement at Jardine's on Sunday.

The Low Anthem play the Record Bar on Monday.

(Original image of the former location of a portion of my music collection by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: