Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Dum Dum Girls- Only In Dreams


















Dum Dum Girls- "Bedroom Eyes" (video at YouTube)

Two albums were in near-constant rotation among my circle of friends in 1981. The Pretenders' 1980 debut and Beauty and the Beat by The Go-Go's never seemed to stop playing. The former project was the default soundtrack for hanging out with guys. The second album was adored by my female friends. Most of my associates weren't music nerds like me; they just wanted mood-setting background music.

We also listened to Controversy, Tattoo You, Being With You, Abacab, Ghost In the Machine and Nine Tonight. I recall needing to play No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, Stands for Decibels,, East Side Story, Wild Gift and Short Back 'n' Sides when no one else was around.

These thirty-year-old recollections overcame me as I first listened to Only In Dreams, the new album by Dum Dum Girls. Songs like "Bedroom Eyes" serve as an excellent tribute to Chrissie Hynde and to the girl group sound revived by The Go-Go's.

We were a reckless bunch, so it's not surprising that AIDS, car accidents and substance abuse have felled several of my friends from that era. I miss them, but getting teary-eyed isn't going to get me anywhere. Besides, I should be focusing on The Dum Dum Girls' tour schedule.

I think I'm "Coming Down".


---
Pat Metheny and Larry Grenadier were excellent last night. Here's my review of their concert.

---
I'd forgotten that hip hop executive Sylvia Robinson was also Sylvia of Mickey & Sylvia fame. Robinson died Thursday. Life, like love, is strange.

---
What's with the sudden outbreak of piano duets? I'm not sold on Orvieto, the new album by Chick Corea and Stefano Bollani.

---
Kansas City Click: Trumpet #1: Ambrose Akinmusire appears Friday at Yardley Hall.

Trumpet #2: Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra visit Helzberg Hall on Saturday.

Trumpet #3: The Kerry Strayer Orchestra features a full trumpet section. Its monthly gig returns to Jardine's on Sunday.

Trumpet #4: Maurice Brown performs Monday at the Blue Room.

(Original image of lonely singer-songwriter by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: