Thursday, December 22, 2011

Review: Mark Lowrey at the RecordBar



















As the year-end lists in the previous two There Stands the Glass posts indicate, my preoccupation with jazz Black American Music and hip hop persists.

That's why I recently dragged my weary carcass to the RecordBar after midnight a couple days ago for the latest installment of Mark Lowrey's series of live collaborations with hip hop artists.

It was disappointing to discover that the dozen or so B.A.M. and hip hop musicians almost outnumbered the members of the audience. Even so, what I witnessed was astounding. The monstrous funk groove drummer Ryan Lee and Lowrey created was enhanced by the guitar and vocals of Enrique Javier Chi of Making Movies.

So fresh!


---
I reviewed the Wilder's self-titled album.

---
My current pathological aversion to Americana doesn't apply to Kathleen Edwards.

---
I learned of the late Bill Tapia via a DJ at Turntable.fm. So charming!

---
Here's another "Nancy Reagan" update. (Via Wayward Blog.)

---
Billie Jo Spears has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Here's a mildly amusing Wakarusa tease.

---
Dee Spears, Willie Nelson's longtime bassist, has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Bob Burnett of the Highwaymen has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Kansas City native Bob Brookmeyer has died.

---
Cesaria Evora has died.

---
Ralph McDonald has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Mac Lethal has officially unveiled "Royal's Cap (My Ode to Kansas City)".

---
Year-end Kansas City music lists!

---
Kansas City Click: You don't want to be like me- stay home for once.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: