Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Why Are There So Many Songs About Rainbows?
















I'd been waiting for the moment for months. Hearing a song I selected at the internet site Turntable.fm boom through the sound system at a real life nightclub was a genuine thrill. When a few friends organized a Turntable.fm-themed event at Czar Bar during the holidays, the first song I programmed was Heavy D's "The Overweight Lover's in the House." I went on to play a few of my punk, metal and hip hop favorites but the party was eventually co-opted by fans of pop, dance and techno. That meant that a few of my selections- including Nashville P*ssy's "All F*cked Up"- were quickly skipped after they were "lamed." It was no surprise, consequently, that my troll pick "Rainbow Connection" made it all the way through without getting axed. I'll get another crack at it when The Beaumont Club hosts a similar event January 13.

---
Here's 66 minutes of excellent footage from Mark Lowrey's December 21 gig at the Record Bar.

---
I'll admit it- I always look forward to hearing Skillz' year-end wrap-up. Just once.

---
Mac Lethal's new release is out. Here's the video for "Jake + Olive".

---
Skip past the introduction for a sublime performance by Terri Lyne Carrington, Geri Allen, Esperanza Spalding and Tineke Postma.

---
Jeff Harshbarger is Plastic Sax's Person of the Year.

---
I can relate to the subject matter of the latest effort by Brother Ali.

---
Kansas City Click: This is the best time of year to investigate locally-based talent.

(Original image of a large-screen projection from the Turntable.fm party by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: