Friday, February 10, 2012

Review: Capybara- Dave Drusky


















Until I witnessed its incredibly sensitive yet thoroughly dynamic performance backing the legendary Daniel Johnston at the Middle of the Map festival in 2011, I dismissed Capybara as an irredeemably slight ensemble. Cute and cuddly aren't qualities I admire in a rock band. I'd written Capybara off as soft.

Capybara's ability to inspire the best Johnston performance I've witnessed changed my perception of the band. That explains why I'm so uncharacteristically smitten by Dave Drusky, the Kansas City band's new album. The delightfully disorienting project could be mistaken for a clever remix of isolated tracks from the recent deluxe reissue of the Pet Sounds sessions.

Dave Drusky's wispy dream pop is unflaggingly pleasant. Even when it musters energy on "Black Apollo Rain," the band's rock is tastefully understated. "Bill Dabbler, Lorn Line" could be the theme song for a children's cartoon. And the fact that one selection is titled Pierre Bensusan is the fulfillment of a music geek's fantasy.

Given my affinity for the music of the French guitarist, I should have already understood that soft and mellow are entirely different things.


---
I admired Put Your Back N 2 It, the fine new album by Perfume Genius, even before I saw the wonderful video for "Hood." Amazing.

---
I fail to hear how Sharon Van Etten's Tramp is substantively different than Adele's 21. Why is it considered "indie" by tastemakers who dismiss Adele as a mainstream act? That said, while I like both Adele and Van Etten, I continue to prefer Cat Power's The Greatest.

---
The "What's In My Bag?" spotlight on Nick 13 is honky-tonk heaven.

---
Mac Lethal is offering digital copies of the first six volumes of his Love Potion projects- 85 tracks in all- for $10 at Bandcamp.

---
Beverly Kenney! (Via Euclid Records.) Unfortunately, there's also this.

---
Van Halen's new album is an actually halfway decent listen if you like stoopid party rock. And I do. The best bits sound like Who Are You-era The Who.

---
"He's good-bad, but he's not evil."

---
I discovered the genius of Nico Muhly this week.

---
Alex Smith of KCUR goes "cratedigging".

---
Wando has died.

---
Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds is one of my heroes.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Perfume Genius is my early contender for album of the year.

I'm really enjoying the new Capybara album as well.

Happy In Bag said...

Many of my comments about Capybara also apply to Perfume Genius. It's not necessarily my thing, but damn- it's really good.

BTW, I appreciate your concert calendar, Matt.