Friday, March 02, 2012

In the Red


















Louisiana Red and Red Holloway died on February 25. Both men regularly appeared on Kansas City stages. Louisiana Red was in the area three or four years ago for the Kansas City Kansas Street Blues Festival. The bluesman was so compelling that I insisted the members of my compound attend his performance later that evening at BB's Lawnside BBQ. "My uncle used to beat me," Red says in his introduction to the typical "Orphanage Home Blues". I loved that man. Red Holloway last performed in Kansas City in 2009 as part of Kevin Mahogany's band in a tribute to Joe Turner at the Folly Theater. I also recall seeing the saxophonist at the same venue with Jay McShann.


---
"Everything Is Fine" with Josh Turner. Here's my review of last night's concert at the Uptown Theater.

---
"Pleasant Valley Sunday" was one of the first pop songs to captivate me. Farewell, Davy Jones.

---
Krystle Warren's new video is epic.

---
Someone combined one of my favorite songs with footage shot in one of my favorite cities.

---
The Kansas City Rock and Roll History Project catches up with Ray Hildebrand, a man best known as "Paul" of Paul and Paula.

---
I'm partial to Plastic Sax.

---
"Can I Get a Reee-fill?"

---
Here's an excellent EPK for the new Billy Hart album.

---
Heresy alert: I kinda wish Never Mind the Bollocks sounded more like Ceremony's Zoo. Here's the video for "World Blue".

---
My affection for SSION's "My Love Grows in the Dark" video is unhealthy. (Tip via Wayward Blog.)

---
I'm mystified by the critical enthusiasm for Grimes.

---
Yes.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published by Ink here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: