Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Review: Hahn + Hauschka Silfra
















Silfra, the enticing collaboration between Hilary Hahn + Hauschka, won't be released until May 22, but I just can't contain my enthusiasm for the project any longer. It's beautiful, mysterious and innovative.

The recording by the young American violinist and the German "master of prepared piano" uncannily echoes my internal soundtrack. Silfra tracks the deep grooves already formed by my tormented thoughts. I've been plagued by personal problems during the first third of 2012. My existential brooding and occasional happy respites are ideally articulated by Hahn and Hauschka.

As the sonic representation of my state of mind, Silfra is slightly abrasive, disorienting and yes, a bit pretentious. I'd be lying if I suggested that hearing lilting sambas, Ellingtonian suites, Bach concertos or J Dilla beats in my head wouldn't be preferable. Silfra is slightly creepy, much like the score of an arty European horror film. Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of a crisis in which Karl Stockhausen and Nino Rota serve as crucial reference points.

Hahn and Hauschka acknowledge beauty, but even Silfra's most sublime moments hint at a deeper despair. My problems may dissipate in the coming months. Even if things get better, however, my profound appreciation for Silfra will remain.


---
Please don't worry about me- "I'm still hanging on."

---
I reviewed John Pizzarelli's concert Saturday at the Folly Theater.

---
Kauffman Stadium and the park at 75th & Holmes are the settings for Tragedy's "Best Thing Moving" video. (Tip via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
Andrew Love of the Memphis Horns has died.

---
Rodgers Grant of "Yeh Yeh" fame has died.

---
Would someone please explain Wishbone Ash? Is it a boogie band that went prog? Or is it the other way around? I listened to Argus for the first time the other night, and well… I just don't get it.

---
Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds is my hero. The raconteur starts talking at 1:20.

---
Lolz! Thundercat's "Walkin'" video amuses me.

---
Kansas City Click: Harling's hosts New Jazz Order every Tuesday.

Johnny Winter plays Knuckleheads on Wednesday.

Sabaton visits the Beaumont on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: