Sunday, June 10, 2012

Review: In the Heights

















I almost walked out on In the Heights.  Although spending a perfect evening at the lovely Starlight Theatre is a classic Kansas City experience, my sense of disappointment threatened to get the better of me Friday.  I'd hoped that the celebrated musical would be less contrived than this.  The hip hop and salsa elements of In the Heights didn't just allow the flawed production to get a pass- the hopelessly hackneyed show was a finalist for the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.  That's embarrassing.  Still, my $10 ticket was a bargain.  At that price, I might even endure this monstrosity in July.


----
Herb Reed of the Platters has died.  He was born in Kansas City.

---
The Washington Post's obituary of Bob Welch refers to his "poorly received" jazz album. Man, is it… unusual.

---
I've enjoyed bits and pieces of the live stream from Bonnaroo this weekend.

---
Anyone up for a road trip to Knotfest in Council Bluffs?

---
 If the blues wasn't in one of its cyclical troughs in popularity, Sue Foley would be a star.  Here's her new video with Peter Karp.  The duo will appear at Knuckleheads in July.

---
The collaboration between Bela Fleck and the Marcus Roberts Trio is an inspired idea.  Too bad about the album cover.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judging from what's getting a Pulitzer these days, it's not the honor it used to be.