Thursday, August 30, 2012

Curfew



















My responses to a meme initiated by The Guardian and prolonged by NPR Music.

1) What was the first song you ever bought?: "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind & Fire. Why?  Why not?  It's still my jam.

2) What song always gets you dancing? "Mother Popcorn" by James Brown. Why?  My knees aren't broken.

3) What song takes you back to your childhood? "Daddy Sang Bass" by Johnny Cash. Why? I was reared on that stuff.

4) What is your perfect love song? "So In Love" by Curtis Mayfield. Why? The sound and the sentiment.

5) What song would you want at your funeral? "Aguas de Marco" by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Why? "It's the mud, it's the mud."

6) Time for the encore.  One last song that make you, you. "Bring the Noise" by Public Enemy.  Why? The contradictions.  The rage.  The mayhem. Chuck D's self-importance.  Flavor Flav's humor.


---
I reviewed Monday's John Hiatt concert.

---
New Iris Dement!  Amazon offers snippets of her forthcoming album Sing the Delta.

---
New CES Cru!

---
New OFWGKTA!  Here's Hodgy and Left Brain's "La Bonita".

---
An update on South Park Mexican is headlined "Should Hip-Hop Artists Be Allowed to Release Albums From Jail?"  As a guy who once repped SPM albums, I believe the answer is "yes."  (Via S.S.)

---
I admired Merrill Garbus before I watched her new "What's In My Bag?" segment.  I love her now. 

---
I adore Bob Dylan's "Duquesne Whistle".

---
ShowYouSuck performed at KJHK.

---
"Hi-fi?  Why, sure- you bet!"  A 1957 stereo demonstration infomercial is amazing.

---
I heard Johnny Winter's 1974 rendition of "Stray Cat Blues" for the first time the other day.  That's evil going on.

---
Tom Ryan, an occasional commenter at There Stands the Glass, has died.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

benmighty said...

Amazon's got that Iris Dement album as a vinyl pre-order also!

Anonymous said...

Why do reviewer's refer to John Hiatt as a blues man? On his 2003 release Beneath This Gruff Exterior he wrote and sang "Almost Fed Up With The Blues". The majority of the music he has released falls into the singer song writer catagory, calling him a blues man just limits the perception of his talent.