Friday, April 26, 2013

George Jones, 1931-2013


The King is Gone (And So Are You).

George Jones has died.  I detest seeing the man's career reduced to a single song and quick references to boozing, no-shows and heartbreak.  Sure, I love the tractor story as much as anyone, but overlooking the man's music would be tragic.  With that in mind, here are five selections from Jones' vast catalog that had a profound impact on me.


"You know this old world is full of singers but only a few are chosen to tear your heart out when they sing.- "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes"


---
Bob Brozman has died.  It's my understanding that Bob was the brother of Jack Brozman, the co-founder of Streetside Records.  Can a There Stands the Glass reader confirm this connection?

---
The video for Dead Voices' "Dream Notes" is quite good.

---
The Soft Reeds performed on KSHB's morning show.

---
Gurf Morlix's Gurf Morlix Finds the Present Tense is RIYL Lucinda Williams, sadness and the truth.

---
"He's my rebel guy that wouldn't hurt a fly."  Rachelle Spector, the wife of Phil Spector, created a video for "PS I Love You", a tribute to her incarcerated husband. Trust me- it's worthy of your attention.  (Via Jazz Wax.)

---
I listened to the entirely of Love Has Come For You, the new collaboration between Steve Martin and Edie Brickeill, without becoming annoyed or exasperated.  A song titled "Shawnee" won me over.

---
"I'll never sell out."  Ha ha!  The Dream tells jokes on his preposterous new hit "Slow It Down".

---
Omar Sosa and Paolo Fresu's Tiny Desk Concert set is gorgeous.

---
The best moments of Owiny Sigoma Band's Power Punch are as good as anything that's been released in 2013.  The worst moments, however, are pure dreck.  RIYL: "Kumbaya," Damon Albarn and Tony Allen. 

---
Here's the "ECM Player" for the Craig Taborn Trio's Chants.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You nailed it again, HIB. Gurf Morlix makes standout records that deserve wider attention.