Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tompall Glaser, 1933-2013


My dad wore out the grooves of Wanted!: The Outlaws.  The album resounded hundreds of times in our home in the years following its release in 1976.  I relished the repetition, although I was a little creeped out by the lusty way my dad sang along to the songs about women.  Tompall Glaser, one of the four artists featured on the compilation, died Tuesday.  Glaser's rendition of "T For Texas" was my introduction to Jimmie Rodgers.  Put another log on the fire.


---
Eydie Gormé has died.  (Video selection via BGO.)

---
Jody Payne, Willie Nelson's guitarist, has died.

---
Akkilles' Something You'd Say is streaming at Bandcamp.  RIYL: Sea Change, America (the band), Toro y Moi.

---
Bowinero's Asterism is recommended if you like Antennas Up, Modest Mouse, Young the Giant. 

---
The Floozies' new single ""Love, Sex and Fancy Things"" is RIYL: "Blurred Lines," "More Bounce To the Ounce" and "Suit & Tie."

---
Antennas Up has a new video for The Awkward Phase".

---
Red Kate's When the Trouble Comes is RIYL: the Big Boys, the Wipers, Naked Raygun.

---
The video for Tech N9ne's "Party the Pain Away" is what you thought it was. 

---
Dolls on Fire created a video for "Fem vs the Volcano".

---
Tim Finn checks in with Matt Pryor of the Get Up Kids.

---
I'm glad hundreds of thousands of people are excited about Kendrick Lamar's explosive verse on Big Sean's "Control."  I dig it too.  A similar reaction supposedly greeted Coleman Hawkins' famous solo on "Body and Soul" in 1939.  My ongoing fantasy is that a similar number of active music lovers will lose their collective minds over a new solo by someone like Rudresh Mahanthappa. 

---
Thanks in large part to the contributions of Julian Lage, Gary Burton's Guided Tour is one of my favorite jazz albums of 2013.  Here's the EPK.

---
The critical acclaim that's greeted Grant Hart's unlistenable new album The Argument strikes me as insane.

---
Music critics occasionally know what they're talking about.  Ka's The Night's Gambit is every bit as good as the scores of breathless reviews suggest.  RIYL: Ghostface Killah, Rakim, Cut Chemist.

---
The National's set at last weekend's Outside Lands festival featured the Kronos Quartet and Bob Weir. My interest in the mopey band is renewed.

---
Myron & E's retro soul album Broadway sounds incredible.  Unfortunately, it's done in by extremely awkward lyrics.

---
José James' new Come To My Door EP compliments his stunning full-length 2013 album.

---
I recommend No Age's An Object to fans of the harsh post-punk sound of 1983. 

---
Trillwave 3 is the deliriously fun new mixtape by mashup masters the Hood Internet. 

---
I'll eventually get around to listening to this week's new releases by Glen Campbell, Bela Fleck, Valerie June, K. Michelle, Stevie Stone, Washed Out and Barrence Whitfield and the Savages.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bigsteveno said...

Thanks for the caveat emptor on the Grant Hart album. It seems like an interesting idea, but I hadn't made up my mind to buy it. Seeing him live recently did not instill confidence.

Thanks also for the tip on that new Brazilian compilation. (I've been catching up on your columns.) Beleza Tropical changed my life too just as you described. It sounds like I need to check this new collection out.

Happy In Bag said...

I'm looking forward to hearing your take, Steve.