Thursday, November 07, 2013

Album Review: Akkilles- Something You'd Say


Something You'd Say is one of the prettiest rock-based albums I've encountered in 2013.  If that sounds like a backhanded compliment coming from me, well, you're right.  I prefer my rock with a heaping helping of rage and blood.  Yet Akkilles has something special going on.  On a gorgeously-produced album of songs that otherwise average well under five minutes, the second track of Something You'd Say is a nine-minute jam that evokes the Grateful Dead-by-the-way-of My Morning Jacket.  The gambit by the Kansas City-based indie rock band may not work for everyone, but I love it.  The remainder of the tracks are hazy pop songs, part David Crosby and part Yo La Tengo.  Yet Akkilles manages to avoid the dreaded stomp-folk dreck that's infested less assured musicians.  Imbued with a sense of exhaustion, Something You'd Say has become my come-down album of choice.


---
I reviewed Tech N9ne's return to the Midland last week.

---
I reviewed the performance by John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett at the Uptown Theater on Sunday.

---
Jordan MacDonald, an aspiring rapper from Prairie Village, was killed last week.  The Prairie Village Post provides audio clips in its report.

---
Charlie Chesterman has died.  Back in my roots-rock days, I wore a Scruffy the Cat t-shirt until it was in tatters.

---
Here's footage of Radkey performing on a Dutch radio station.

---
Everyone who loves Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs should know that Light In the Attic recently reissued Bobby Whitlock's first two solo albums.  RIYL: Leon Russell, bellbottom jeans, Delaney & Bonnie.

---
I have a great deal of affection for Earl, Syd and Nardwuar.

---
I'm pleased but perplexed that Omar Souleyman is the "world music" star of the moment.  (The publicist for his label deserves a raise.)  The Syrian's new Wenu Wenu is RIYL: maps, Shanachie Records, passports.

---
I made it through all three hours of last night's broadcast of the Country Music Awards (with a little help from my DVR).  Gloom, despair and agony…

---
This week's new releases of special interest to There Stands the Glass include Tamar Braxton, Bun B, Cut Copy, Eminem, Howie Gelb, the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack, Kronos Quartet, MIA, Kellie Pickler, Matt Pryor, Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs and Tinie Tempah.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best part of this weeks post was clearly the Hee-Haw video. More please!