Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Concert Review: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named at the Sprint Center


What kind of jerk spends $50 to see an artist he dislikes?  Me, that's who.  I can't even mention the name of the headliner at the Sprint Center on Saturday.  Google sends me a takedown notice every time I publish his name.  But that's not why he bugs me.  I just don't enjoy his raps. 

Yet there's no denying that he's changed the game.  And I've always relished seeing popular musicians at the peak of their fame.  That's why I bought the cheapest available ticket to see the Canadian.  Jeneé Osterheldt and Natalie Gallagher convey the excitement of the evening in their reviews.

Unlike them I was disappointed in Miguel's opening set.  It was my first time seeing Miguel, and I'd hoped that I'd finally understand why so many people I respect have been raving about him.  Maybe it was the lousy mix, but I remain unconvinced.

I am certain, however, that I spent my $50 wisely.  He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named may become even more popular, but he had his "moment" in Kansas City in 2013.  And I was there to hate it.


---
Chick Willis has died.  I spent a few nights dancing to his performances at area clubs and at festivals on both sides of the state line.  (Via BGO.)

---
Jim Hall has died.

---
I like the lineup of the Big Ears 2014 festival so much- Steve Reich! John Cale! Television! Marc Ribot!- that I looked at airfare between Kansas City and Knoxville.  It's not gonna work.

---
Dessa's Tiny Desk Concert is RIYL: Ani DiFranco, talent, Doomtree.

---
I finally made it all the way through (the official) Black Flag's new album What the….  It's not very good.  I liked it anyway.  RIYL: Greg Ginn, impotent rage, SST Records.

---
Albums discovered via 2013 year-end album lists (continued):
#9- Chucho Valdes' Border Free, RIYL: Gonzalo Rubalcaba, 1952 Havana, piano heroics.
#10 Sadao Watanabe's Outra Vez, RIYL: Stan Getz, octogenarians, Clare Fischer.
#11 SimakDialog's The 6th Story, RIYL: Soft Machine, wanky instrumentals, Tom Coster.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drake. How utterly boring and derivative. I don't think you were hard enough on your self for that waste of money!

Happy In Bag said...

I don't think he's boring or derivative, Anon. I really dig the production. I just don't like "him". Don't worry, though- because you mentioned his name, the authorities- Google, the NSA, Young Money and Vladimir Putin- have been notified and this post will soon vanish.