Monday, March 31, 2014

Concert Review: Kraftwerk at the Sony Centre in Toronto


A potentially stodgy concert by a quartet of immobile men with an average age of 57 was transformed into a visually exhilarating experience by lavish 3D effects in Toronto on Saturday.

I laughed hysterically as I was repeatedly slapped in the face by virtual flying objects including letters and spaceships during Kraftwerk's performance at the Sony Centre.  The members of the groundbreaking band stood behind podiums as stunning images hovered and flew over the capacity audience of 3,200. 

The concert had been sold out for weeks, but I pulled the trigger when the best seats in the house were released a few hours before the show.  Situated in the center about 15 rows back, I reveled in the perfect sound reproduction and outlandish display. 

I'm not a Kraftwerk fanatic but I reckoned that Saturday's performance was probably the only chance I'd ever have to see the innovators.  The impulsive gamble paid off.  Not only was it the second most visually stimulating concert I've seen (Kanye West's Yeezus tour may never be topped), the show has caused me to begin rethinking my relationship with all electronic music.

The Toronto Star and Exclaim offer proper reviews of the concert.


---
Adam Faucett is an Arkansas-based singer-songwriter.  His astonishing new album Blind Water Finds Blind Water is RIYL: Jason Isbell, Winter's Bone, Steve Earle.

---
The Men's Tomorrow's Hits is a hoot.  RIYL: Alex Chilton, scuzz, the Flamin' Groovies.

---
Excerpts from a new ECM release by Benedicte Maurseth and Åsne Valland Nordli are beautiful.  RIYL: Márta Sebestyén, Game of Thrones, Anonymous 4.

---
Linda Thompson is featured in a lovely episode of "What's In My Bag?"

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by a sidekick of There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Gary said...

Linda Thompson is a Facebook friend and a regular commenter on posts of mine. Communicating in such a manner with one of my favorite singers is surreal and I often have to be strapped down from going weirdo fanboy to her replies. Hat tip to you for posting the Amoeba link with her.