Saturday, April 12, 2014

Album Review: Gee Watts- 199X


Gee Watts is obsessed with Kendrick Lamar.  And why not?  Lamar is arguably the most important rapper alive. He also gave Watts' career a kick start by contributing a few bars to the Kansas City rapper's track "Watts R.I.O.T." last year.  Unfortunately, Watts' new album 199X sounds like an extended homage to Lamar's groundbreaking album Good Kid, M.A.A.D City.

Worse still, Watts isn't even the star of his own album.  The poetry of Purpose on the tracks "Mourning Soul" and "Hide & Seek" provide 199X's best moments.  Only on the sorrowful "Hide & Seek" and the hip-hop collage "Deeper Than Rap" can Watts' true potential be easily discerned.

During the opening moments of 199X, Watts admits that he "feel(s) like I might have let the town down."  I can't speak for anyone else, but he let me down.  I'm not about to jump off Watts' bandwagon, but I'm convinced that he has much more to offer than than can be heard on the disappointing 199X.


---
I reviewed Dream Theater's concert at the Uptown Theater on Wednesday.

---
I love the fact that there's a song titled "'02 Boschee".  Unfortunately, I don't love Chase Compton's composition.

---
Slowly Rolling Camera created an appealing video for "Dream a Life".  RIYL: Portishead, jazz that's not jazz, Soul II Soul.

---
Cloud Nothings' Here and Nowhere is RIYL: Japandroids, college radio in 1987, Fugazi.

---
Free Aesop Rock!

---
I think Steel Panther is hilarious.  (I'm a 14-year-old boy at heart.)

---
I realize that it's an ignorant thing to suggest, but Tinariwen's Emmaar is a bit, um, samey.  RIYL: John Lee Hooker, repetition, Ali Farka Touré. 

---
Originality isn't the strong suit of Black Label Society.  I adore Catacombs of the Black Vatican anyway.  RIYL: Ozzy, sledgehammers, Slash.

---
Ibibio Sound Machine's self-titled album is RIYL: Angélique Kidjo, world parties, Antibalas.

---
I'm unable to resist the charms of Tune-Yard's "Wait for a Minute".  RIYL: Graceland, tomorrow, Reflektor.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: