Friday, April 25, 2014

Album Review: Takuya Kuroda- Rising Son





































My refusal to disavow smooth jazz continues to shock many friends and readers.  I happily attend a handful of smooth jazz concerts every year and regularly listen to the music without a trace of irony.  The artists I most admire in the format aren't necessarily the purveyors of the stuff that's played in elevators.  Roy Ayers, the Crusaders, George Duke, Bob James and Lonnie Liston Smith are among the artists I adore.  Takuya Kuroda shares my love of the work of those musicians.  The trumpeter's soulful new album Rising Son includes an exceptional cover of Ayers' "Everybody Loves the Sunshine."  Reclassifying the music as acid jazz hasn't done much to revive the form's popularity.  In spite of solid promotion by Blue Note Records, the new album's current sales ranking at Amazon is #13,382.  Here's the EPK for the unfairly neglected recording.


---
I reviewed Sevendust's concert Thursday at the Midland theater.

---
Latenight Callers made a beautiful video for "Tourniquets"

---
The Strive created a video for "Keep Dreaming".

---
"Bye Felicia" is a new track by MarksMyBarber & Kansas Smitty.

---
Duck Sauce's Quack is RIYL: "Disco Duck," K-Tel, "Disco Inferno."  And Barry Gibb help me- I really like it.

---
The Encyclopedia of Arto promises to be a handy guide to the work of Arto Lindsay.

---
Neneh Cherry's new album doesn't do much for me, but "Everything" indicates that she still knows how to make a striking video.

---
Hood Internet's "Digital Humpty" tickles my pleasure centers.

---
Kris Bowers' "History of Jazz Piano" is pretty great.

---
1987 forever!  The feedback-laden squall of Perfect Pussy's Say Yes To Love appeals to my nostalgic side.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: