Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Concert Review: Morris Day and the Time at the Heart of America Hot Dog Festival

It's always a relief when oldies concerts don't make me feel embarrassed for the artists and ashamed of myself for revisiting the past.  An appearance by Morris Day and the Time at the Heart of America Hot Dog Festival on Saturday could have been a disaster.  I ponied up $15 in spite of the dubious circumstances.  The delightful 90-minute show on the back lawn of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum exceeded my expectations.  The expert band powered by original drummer Jellybean Johnson and fronted by the wildly entertaining Morris Day faithfully recreated old favorites including "Ice Cream Castles," "777-9311," "Gigolos Get Lonely Too" and "Jungle Love."  The smiles of the fans participating in a dance contest reflect my appreciation.


---
Here's my review of Mötley Crüe's final concert in Kansas City.

---
Drummer Idris Muhammad has died.

---
The brouhaha over The New Yorker's Sonny Rollins satire is ridiculous.  Is jazz isn't so fragile that it can't withstand a joke?  Here's the great man's reaction.

---
Chuck D and Mavis Staples collaborate on "Give We the Pride."

---
Is Clipping's CLPPNG a parody?  I can't tell.  Sounds great, though.  RIYL: Earl Sweatshirt, confusion, Death Grips.

---
Friends & Lovers, the latest release from Marsha Ambrosius, is quite nice.  RIYL: Alicia Keys, freaks, Keyshia Cole.

---
I'm fascinated by the bombastic sound of Hiromi's Alive.  RIYL: Brand X, rock production, Eldar Djangarov.


(Original images by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

I'm a cranky old jazz buff and I found Mr. Gold's attempt at satire lame and way off base. He obviously knows little about the music. Did you watch the entire interview with Bret Primack? After the whole bit about 'Mad Magazine' he changed his tone a bit.