Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Kendrick Conundrum


Where in tarnation is my album of the year?  I've found plenty to like but little to love among the hundreds of albums I've heard in 2014.  (Perhaps my lack of focus plays a role in this conundrum.)  I prefer the top seven titles in my year-end 2013 list in the column to the right to anything I've encountered during the past nine months.  Where's the stuff that turns my world upside down?  Kendrick Lamar's disappointing new song "i" sent me into panic mode.  C'mon Kanye.

---
I reviewed concerts by Spoon and Living Colour.

---
Here's the video for Josh Berwanger's "Enemies".

---
Kenny Wheeler has died.

---
George Hamilton IV, a staple of the Opry, has died.

---
Highway Robbery, the new album by Freeway and the Jacka, is RIYL: J. Stalin, thug life, Messy Marv. The Real Rick Ross and Freddie Gibbs are in the video for "Cherry Pie".

---
Jerry Douglas, Rob Ickes and the late Mike Auldridge sound great on The Three Bells.  RIY:: dobro, Gene Wooten, pickin' and grinnin'. 

---
Goat's formula- equal parts the Doors, the Velvet Underground, Tinariwen and Toumani Diabaté- is irresistible on Commune.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

4 comments:

Gary said...

Cross your fingers about Goat coming to Kansas City (of course I've been hoping Tinariwen would play in the area for years).

Happy In Bag said...

Let's start a Goat cover band, Gary. I call triangle.

Average Jane said...

Nice seeing you at the Living Colour show! We enjoyed it a great deal as well.

Happy In Bag said...

I'm still pondering the performance, AJ.