Monday, October 27, 2014

Concert Review: Kverlertak, Gojira and Mastodon at the Uptown Theater


As he took my $30 last Wednesday, the man in the box office of the Uptown Theater raved about the brilliance of Mastodon.  I confessed that while I admire the band, I was really laying down my money for the opening acts. 

I'd already attended three or four Mastodon concerts but I had yet to witness Kvelertak perform "Bruane Brenn" and I hadn't seen Gojira since the French band opened for Lamb of God in the same venue in 2007. 

Kvelertak didn't disappoint in an opening set marked by revolting showers of spit and sweat.  Gojira's slow songs caused me to wonder if it's the world's best post-metal band.  For its part, Mastodon dialed the visuals way back from the gaudy spectacles displayed on previous tours. 


---
I reviewed Judas Priest's concert at the Midland theater.

---
I reviewed Lecrae's concert at Independence Events Center.

---
Here's my Local Listen feature on the Architects for KCUR's Up To Date.

---
Kansas City musician Horace Washington has died.

---
Jack Bruce has died.

---
Budos Band's metal-tinged Burnt Offering is RIYL: Booker T & the MGs, epic instrumental jams, the Meters.  Here's the title track.

---
The title of the stellar new Francis Bebey compilation Psychedelic Sanza: 1982-1984 is misleading.  RIYL: God, Mickey Hart, life. (Tip via Big Steve.)

---
The Thought of You, Otis Brown III's debut album as a leader, is RIYL: Joe Lovano's Us 5, the idea of jazz as a living music, Gretchen Parlato.

---
Walt Weiskopf's Overdrive is RIYL: Michael Brecker, classic Blue Note, Kenny Garrett.

---
Hey, there's a new documentary about the Mekons!  (Tip via Rick H.)

---
John Cale recalls Lou Reed on "If You Were Still Around".

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: