Monday, April 20, 2015

Percy Sledge, 1940-2015


Tears come easily for me.  Music often acts as the trigger, and classic R&B voices get me almost every time.  I just cued up Percy Sledge’s out-of-print 1994 album Blue Night and was immediately overcome by emotion.  Listen for yourself.  Damn.  Sledge died last week.


---
I reviewed Lil Boosie’s wack concert at the Midland.

---
I reviewed a solid concert by Sixx:A.M. and Apocalyptica.

---
I reviewed Matt Kane & the Kansas City Generations Sextet’s Acknowledgement at Plastic Sax.

---
I didn’t know about Tony Bennett’s secret weapon until I first saw Ralph Sharon perform with the vocalist in the 1990s.  Sharon died on March 31.

---
Johnny Kemp has died.

---
After years of conjecture, a collaboration between Tech N9ne and Eminem has been released.

---
Todd Clouser’s Chant is RIYL: Allen Ginsberg, beatniks, John Trudell.  Clouser created a video for “You the Brave.”

---
Lila Downs’ Balas y Chocolate is a lot of fun.  RIYL: Vicente Fernández, parties, Kinky. 

---
Tyler, the Creator’’s Cherry Bomb is much better than I anticipated.  And yes, “Smuckers” is the hip-hop event of the year.

---
Kenny Lattimore’s Anatomy of a Love Song is RIYL: Luther Vandross, classic R&B, Marvin Gaye.  Here’s the video for “Love Me Back.”

---
The-Dream’s silky Crown is RIYL: Michael Jackson, radio playlists, Future.

---
Beethoven, Period, a collaboration between Matt Haimovitz and Christopher O’Riley, is my default work soundtrack.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

Blue Night is certainly an overlooked gem of an album. Great songs and excellent production values. I guess I'm old enough to understand what might be called 'old school' but I much prefer timeless classics.

Happy In Bag said...

You're right, of course, BGO. And that's Bobby Womack on guitar.