Thursday, November 30, 2017

Jock Jams


I dedicated much of a recent vacation in Portland to watching men’s college basketball games at the Moda Center.  Teams representing Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina and Gonzaga were among the elite squads competing in the PK80 tournament.  Attending 12 games in three days became a tedious chore, but the soundtrack in the arena was far from tiresome.  Customary jock jams by the likes of Gary Glitter, Bon Jovi and C+C Music Factory weren’t aired.  Instead, crowds were treated to a vibrant playlist of hip-hop and rap hits that included Kendrick Lamar’s “Humble,” Kanye West’s “Power,” Post Malone’s “Rockstar” and Diddy’s “Watcha Gon’ Do.”  Seeing thousands of seated sports fans and a handful of players warming up on the court chanting “percocet, molly, percocet” in unison to Future’s “Mask Off” was one of the most surreal moments I’ve experienced in 2017.


---
I wrote a profile of Edison Lights’ Chris Doolittle for KCUR.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
I named Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear the KCUR Band of the Week.

---
I reviewed the Matt Cook Collective’s Along Those Lines at Plastic Sax.

---
Jon Hendricks has died.

---
Tommy Keene has died.

---
Wayne Cochran has died.

---
Jim Nabors has died.

---
I felt as if I was trapped in an episode of Portlandia when I caught a set by The Minders at Turn! Turn! Turn! in Rip City last week. 

---
CyHi the Prynce’s No Dope On Sundays is a minor masterpiece.  RIYL: Pusha T, the dirty South, Big K.R.I.T.  Here’s “God Bless Your Heart”.

---
Björn Meyer’s Provenance is RIYL Steve Tibbets, meditation, Terje Rypdal.

---
I love Lizz Wright.  I loathe her new album.  Grace is RIYL Ruthie Foster, naps, Shawn Colvin.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: