Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Album Review: Brad Mehldau- After Bach


Brad Mehldau is the Keith Jarrett of his generation.  Much as Jarrett hoodwinked admirers into listening to extended freeform piano improvisations in the 1970s, Mehldau’s iconoclastic approach has transformed the perception of jazz piano in the new millennium.  I’m selectively sipping the Kool-Aid.  I loathed the project Mehldau and Chris Thile released last year.  Even though I suspect I’m being duped, the new album After Bach transfixes me.  Here’s “After Bach: Rondo”.


---
I extolled Joyce DiDonato in my weekly feature for KCUR.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
Here’s a reminder that I maintain the comprehensive Kansas City Jazz Calendar.

---
Craig Mack has died.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Metheny/Mehldau album is an overlooked (near) classic imo.